Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Ready for July and a Redesign

Soon this blog will look different.
I am working on a redesign for the blog and a more concrete tie-in with my  website.
A one-stop shop for everyone who wants to catch up with what's going in, find out what I'm working on, and conversations about good reads.
At least that's the hope.
In the meantime here are a few brief updates:

Summer is sadly moving fast. Already it is July and I was in a store the other day where the employees were putting out notebooks and backpacks. It's too much already.

I'm currently reading The Girl on the Train. I'm enjoying it although I'm about half way through and I think I have figured out the ending. I'll have to let you know if I'm right but there are still lots of pages left and I'm sure all kinds of developments will still come that will make me change my mind. That's what good books do.

Summer has been spent so far doing a few things with our kids: A Twins game, two days of a garage sale and a movie outing this afternoon. Audrey and Lucy (the grands) keep us hopping and laughing at all of the things they are figuring out and learning how to do. They make us laugh every single day.

We hit up one of the big music festivals so far with some friends and that turned out to be a great weekend.. Country music isn't Kirk's favorite type of music but he was a good sport and we had a good time. 

We spend lots of time with my father-in-law and Kirk made some voluntary changes in his job this past winter that we're still getting used to.

 I'm always excited to get writing assignments and I have a few more of those on tap.
I like what I do because I get to learn all kinds of things and meet wonderful people that I might not get a chance to otherwise. I just wrote a wonderful piece about a lady named Crystal Clancy for Central Minnesota Women. She shared her experience with postpartum depression and touched my heart. I'm glad to be able to share her story so that others can see that they are not alone.
I also just finished an article for Her Voice that will come out in a few weeks on a local 14-year-old jiu-jitsu student who has succeeded at the national level. What an inspiration she is for other young girls.I was so impressed by her confidence and how humble she remains for someone her age.
It was a treat to meet both of these gals. I hope people enjoy both of these stories.
I have some other pieces coming up as well in various periodicals and some things that are assigned for the near future and even some for the winter already.
There are also a few personal projects I've finished that I'm going to try to hit publishers with as well this fall.

The Quillmasters writer's group is up and running once again at the Jessie F Hallet Memorial Library in Crosby. We meet the third Tuesday of the month at 10 a.m. Please join us if you dabble in writing at all or aspire to start your own career or hobby in front of the keyboard.We are looking to assemble a lively and inspirational group of writers.

My friend, Cathi, and I have taken some awesome classes held over in Staples that were offered by the Five Wings Art Council. There is a break over the summer but they will resume in September but they are targeted for artists of all kinds, including writers, and we have found them to be very informative. I've used all kinds of the information from them already. It has been wonderful getting to know other people from the area that are so talented and learn more about the arts that they are passionate about. The classes cover a variety of useful topics so please look them up on their website if you are interested.

Keep an eye out for my own updated Website and blog. I hope to have both up and running for real  before fall but for now I will continue to update this one more regularly in this present format. 

Enjoy summer!  Read good books! (I welcome suggestions if you read something yourself that you're excited about.) I will let you know what I'm reading next. I have three possibilities sitting next to me on the desk.
Happy July.




No comments:

Post a Comment